Friday, September 07, 2007

Dutch samplers ~ part two ~ Darning samplers

Darning samplers, also sometimes referred to as mending samplers, are very typical to Holland. Young girls were expected to have a good knowledge of sewing and mending. The second kind of sampler a girl would make is a darning sampler. This was usually done by the girls over 12 years of age. These were sewn at a (sewing) school but also in orphanages for the girls to learn to master the techniques.

A hole is cut in the fabric and a contratsting thread is used so the type of mending stitch could be well seen. Various weaving stitches are used on one piece of linen thus creating a darning sampler. Enlarge the photos to see the various stitches.







This sampler was suspended from the ceiling and glass on both sides of the frame to view the front (above).....

.....and the back of the sampler to see the mending well.
A couple of these photos are glared because of the glass in the frames. Depending on where they hung in the church, I sometimes was unable to take a really good photo.
I will share the last set of samplers with you on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

These are beautiful Heidi! My favorite is the next to the last. It's almost like the little cherubs are holding up her stitches. I can't believe they actually cut a hole in the linen. Thanks again for sharing these, and I will look forward to the others on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I love darning samplers and I would like to try my hand at some of the techniques some day!! Wow, what skills to learn!
Thank you again for the pics! Hey, I can see some of the fantastic windows reflected in the glass panes!

crazyhaberdasher said...

Hello Heidi, I have just spent a delightful few hours perusing your blog and I am in awe of all of the wonderful things that you have made and the beautiful stitching that you have put into everything. I will be visiting often!!

Kristen said...

Heidi, these are wonderful! I love that they are preserved for everyone to see.

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Thanks so much for sharing these with us. I am amazed at the excellent condition they are in considering their age. The stitching is so fine. How sad these skills have died out. I would dearly love to be able to darn or mend. I have a beautiful vintage cashmere cardigan I bought in an antique shop. It's pale blue with two motifs of wool embroidered bunches of flowers. I loved it so much I literally wore it out on the elbows and under the arm. I would love to be able to darn it better. Perhaps I will bring it to Holland with me next year...haha :>)
Hugs, Angela

Terri said...

Wow! Those are so neat!
Terri

Lee Albrecht said...

Maravilhoso sem trabalho com Darning Stitch. Parabéns. Muito Bom!!
Feliz Ano Novo.