Thursday, September 06, 2007

Colors, colors, colors.....

I had this doll's quilt sewn to the first border and left it sit on my cutting table so I could play with the colors for the second (wide) border. I kept pulling fabrics out but did not really like anything. Finally this morning, I thought I needed to try a contrasting color and pulled a ochre yellow. It worked! Click on the photo to see more details. I wanted this little doll's quilt to have an old fashioned 'make do with what you had' look to it. I am pleased with it and can't wait to start on the hand quilting now.

Then as I was finishing up taking a photo of the doll's quilt to share with you, look what the postman brought to my door. My mother went to Walmart's DMC clearance sale and got me 135 skeins of thread. Now to any stitcher, this photo is pure delight! Thanks Mom!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comments from your mother:
YOU ARE SOOOO SPOILED
love you, mom

staci said...

Beautiful little quilt! And that is really some stash!

Anonymous said...

Love the doll quilt. At first glance I was reminded of fields of tulips. Such pretty colors! I am glad you got all those DMC's!!! It looks like candy!

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

That is fiber bliss, I'd say! What a sweet mom to do that. I've STILL got to get by there and see if they have any skeins left.

Tanya

Nancy said...

Your doll quilt is pretty Heidi - nice fabric choices.

I went to Walmart and bought a nice supply, but if your Mom wants to adopt me she can!

Solstitches said...

Heidi I love the little doll quilt. It's so simple and yet so effective. I think even I could have a go at something like this.
I'm enchanted by the dinky little wooden clogs you have displayed beside the quilt.
You have a mom in a million to send you all those lovely DMC floss - enjoy playing with them!

Sharon said...

Your mom is wonderful, that was so sweet of her to send you all them dmc's.
I love that quilt, its adorable. Its always such a treat to stop by your blog.

Anonymous said...

Heidi your little doll quilt is so cute and I love your fabrics. How sweet of your Mom to send you such a wonderful package. You must have quite the stash.

hugs - karen

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
The little doll's quilt actually looks as if it's been made out of a little child's worn out clothes so you achieved what you set out to do :>) The colour choice was perfect.
What an amazing collection of threads your mum sent you, it looks just like a huge bunch of beautiful flowers.

DaisyGirl said...

Your Mom is the best! I love it when my mom gets me goodies! Quilt looks great.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi, I love your stash foto! Aspecially because some of it will come to me!! Thank you very much Nancy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi, die anonieme reactie van net is van mij. groetjes Sonja.

Kristen said...

I just think you are pretty spoiled! I love you bunches though, so I suppose you are worth it! I am so glad that you were able to get these threads!