Monday, August 27, 2007

Patchwork scissor holder tutorial

I have a set of scissors that I use when I do my sewing. This tutorial shows how to sew a simple patchwork holder for a pair of scissors. Don't forget to enlarge the photos for detail throughout the tutorial.

First, you need to sew a 5~1/2" to 7~1/2" patchwork block. The size of the block may vary depending on your scissors. I would not recommend anything larger than a 7~1/2" block. The two samples I have sewn are using the smallest (5~1/2") and largest (7~1/2") measurements. It is best not to choose a 'fussy' patchwork block for this as it will not show up in the end product. Beware that patchwork with many triangles will not show up well when the holder is sewn.

Once you have sewn your patchwork, cut a piece of thin batting and your backing fabric to the same size. Now cut a small length of cord.

Lay the batting behind the patchwork. Place the cord at what you wish to become the top corner and pin in place.

Lay the backing fabric right side down over the patchwork and pin.

Sew together at a 1/4" seam allowance being sure to leave an opening in which to turn your quilt block when sewn.

Clip the corners.

I find ironing at this stage really makes a nice edge in which to hand sew the opening shut. This also helps create flat edges around the now sewn block.

Fold the right edge over.

Now fold the left edge to cross over the right and pin in place. Hand sew this seam along the edge and crossed section of the top to secure.

There you have a simple patchwork scissor holder. This has been based upon a gift my sister made me back in the early 80s when this was popular made with store bought potholders. I thought it would be cute to use a patchwork block. It is not necessary to quilt these before sewing them. You could also use one of the cute patchwork look fabrics on the market which would elimanate having to sew patchwork if you wish. These are quick to sew and make wonderful gifts.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for doing this Heidi!

Tracy said...

Love the colors in the fabric. What a cute idea to hold scissors!

Anonymous said...

hi:
did I hear GIFT? What did you hear
Kristy and Mandie? hahahaha
I have one your sister made out of a potholder. I love the fabric with the tread spools, how cute.
Very nice, but then of course, you made them.
Love you, Mom

Solstitches said...

Heidi,
Thank you so much for this tutorial. I've been really looking forward to it and I'm not disappointed in this lovely set.
As soon as I have more time I plan on making these.

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
What a really lovely set. Your instructions are so clear and easy to understand - as usual. I like the fact they are based on a vintage style.
Hugs, Angela

Anonymous said...

What a darling scissor holder and the instructions are wonderful. These would make cute holidays gifts. thanks - Karen

Kristen said...

I just love this! I will have to try to find some extra time to make a few! Precioius!

Cathy said...

This is wonderful! You're so right--they would make excellent gifts! Thanks so much for such a great tutorial!

Cathy (hazelruthe) :)

crazyhaberdasher said...

Hi Heidi, Love it! A great tutorial and a great idea....you are clever!