Monday, January 29, 2007

An experiment in tea dying

I decided to try tea dying some of my linen yesterday. This is the result. The actual linen is a warm cream although it looks brighter here. I like my first attempt but could not get regular coffee granules to stain it and give it an even older effect. I will try using instant coffee next time. For now, I have decided this is perfect for a little Quaker design for a scissor fob. I planned on using a large piece dyed for my Beatrix Potter Quaker sampler but think it is too dark for such a large piece so I will use the fabric as is ~ the cream color.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Tea dying is fun to play around with, isn't it?
Love,
Terri

Anonymous said...

The tea-dyed linen looks great! I've never tried coffee before though so I'd be interested in your results.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I tea-dyed ages ago and used vinegar to set the color. Have fun - it's so creative to add more of YOU in your project!