Monday, December 11, 2006

1853 needlework sampler

"In the glad morn of blooming youth
These various threads I drew,
And now behold this finished piece
Lies glorious to the view.

So when bright youth shall charm no more
And age shall chill my blood,
May I review my life and say
Behold my works were good."


This weekend, we drove the 'DrentsRondje' while at our cottage up north. It is a route you can follow stopping at various beautiful farms and old houses. Some of the homes are lived in by artists which open them to the public each Christmas to view their works. There is a wine tasting at one farm, a B&B open house, homemade ice cream, etc..

We visited two places, one being a historic farm that has been turned into a museum. There were a number of beautiful pieces of needlework hanging there. They are part of the museum's collection. They also had an exhibition with various examples of clothing, lace and needlework. There were four ladies doing their crafts.

I wanted to share one of the needlework samplers hanging in the museum. This is from 1853 and depicts a hunter holding his bounty, swans, various angels, flowers and birds. There is no verse on the sampler but it contains a number of intials.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heidi! This sampler has captured my eyes and my heart! I wish someone would do a reproduction chart so I could stitch this. Thanks for sharing, and the drive sounds so enjoyable!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a beautiful sampler!! I love samplers! :)

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
What a fascinating trip and to see such a beautiful sampler must have been a real bonus.
Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Once again, I just love the accompanying poetry.
Hugs, Angela