Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday's fall quote


This Monday quote is from Emily Bronte. I love the Bronte sisters. I love their poems and books. I love Haworth and the moors. I love the Bronte Parsonage and know the guide book by heart when I go through the house. This sampler is one I purchased at the parsonage about 3 years ago. It was a kit created from the sampler Anne sewed as a child that is hanging in the parsonage. Enjoy both the sampler and the beautiful fall poem!

Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.

I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night's decay
Ushers in a drearier day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi, What a lovely poem and the sampler is wonderful to think that children stitched these, I can not see the children of today sitting still long enough. I tried teaching 7 year olds to knit this year and that was hard work, although some did master it. Love Hazel

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,
I wrote up a little article on the Bronte sisters and needlework a few years back for a journal I sold. I should dig it out! I remember the Greek Key used.

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi,
Thank you for sharing this lovely poem and your beautiful sampler. As always your work is lovely. I am learning so much from you regarding poetry and beautiful books - thank you!
Have an enjoyable day, and I hope Autumn is peeking in at you,
Nancy