Saturday, February 07, 2009

Slow stitching.....

Have you heard of the slow food movement? You know where you go back to the old fashioned values of taking time to cook and enjoy a meal? Well, how about slow stitching? Having developed another major health problem, I am trying to slow down in 2009. I still am on a partial stash diet and working through WIPs and UFOs to get some old projects done. I found last year very rewarding when I started this and decided it should continue this year. But this year, I want to really slow down enough to live in the moment so to speak with my stitching and quilting.


I have said many times how I love anything with an alphabet on it! Well, when an online friend shared a blog I had never seen before and this SAL started, I tried to tell myself I did not need to start this new project. My focus this year was to be my Ohio samplers afterall...


But I could not resist and started this only in January so most participating were already on part two. I set a goal to try and totally catch up by the end of February so I would be ready for part four as it came out. I am happy to say that I have completed parts one and two so I can start on part three this weekend. I should have my goal completed in time. I have not rushed this and tried to really enjoy each stitch.

Those letters are beautiful but I also love the look of this little block with the lace edge. I am stitching this sampler 1 over 1 on 28-count linen. The total width of the sampler is 6-1/2 inches which gives it such a dainty look. If you want to stitch this beautiful sampler just check out Gazette94.


25 comments:

Françoise said...

Wonderfull!!!!!!
Like always
Hugs
Françoise

Daffycat said...

Heidi, this is gorgeous! What a beautiful sampler. Well done on catching up. I look forward to seeing this grow.

hazel c UK said...

This is beautiful Heidi I love the colours you have chosen. I have printed it out but not started it yet. Look forward to see part 3.
Warm hugs,
Hazel

Erna said...

Lovely Heidi, especially the colours
Erna

Barbara said...

Heidi this is beautiful. Your colors are beautiful and really set the letters off. What colors are you using? I also have this printed out, but have not started it yet. I want to get the Mystery Sampler done and I am making some progress on it. I find I would rather stitch smaller items first!

Hugs,
Barbara

Maggie said...

This sampler is wonderful and i too like the colours you have chosen. I have just visitd the blog you are doing the SAL with and there are so many lovely things! I have printed the grilles off and will start this as soon as i can, i started a new samler last week, but as soon as i can start i will!
Thanks for sharing your work and the link.Maggie x

Tammy said...

Hi Heidi!
Why must you share these things..sigh..
:)But I'm glad you did!
I just love the colors you have chosen!
I will stitch this design also, thanks for sharing!

gazette94 said...

Hello Heidi ,
Thank you so much for the picture of the Abécédaire, you made such a nice work !I love the colors you choose too !
I will be proud to put the picture on the album. I m sure you will catch up before the end of the mouth.
Claire

Within A Quarter Inch said...

You are so talented! I like the connection you made between slow food and slow sewing:)

Nancy said...

I love this piece, Heidi. It is such pretty colors. Really beautiful. 'It is after 9PM and we have been gone all day and evening. I missed talking to you on Skype today.
Love you, Mom

Karen said...

Oh my goodness Heidi that is going to be stunning when your done - it's so beautiful right now. It's hard isn't it when were tempted to start something new. I just started a little cross stitch gardeners pocket and I haven't picked up cross stitch in a long time - I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy it :). I'm glad to hear that you taking it easy - and listening to your body and enjoying your projects. Once I move - I'm taking on that goal myself - this past year has taught me that slowing down is what I need also right now. The blocks are going out on Monday - WOO HOO I picked up the last set today.

Hugs - karen

Pondside said...

Lovely, Heidi. I too would like to know what colours you're using.

Anonymous said...

Your sampler looks wonderful and I love the colors you used! I am downloading the patterns for this sampler and it is highly on my wishlist!

Anonymous said...

Ha,daar ben ik ook mee bezig Heid!Alleen heb ik nog maar het eerste deel klaar....;-))Wat is je kleurencombinatie mooi!

Anonymous said...

Slow? That is a word I think you cannot find in your dictionary!!! It is a very beautiful ABC sampler and I hope your will finish it and not start another one in the coming months LOL. Last week I found an ABC in my patterncollection and can better not show it to you.
See you soon. Hugs en groetjes
Elly

Brigitte said...

Heidi, this sampler looks so beautiful already. And so very special as stitched over one. And you are right, the little block with the flower baskets is adorable.
I wish you luck for your way of de-stressing.

mainely stitching said...

Oh gosh, Heidi, that is just so gorgeous!!

Rachel V said...

I love your color choices and the over 1 stitching. Lovely work, Heidi.

Anonymous said...

Your work is lovely. I really like the colors you have chosen for your sampler.

Elizabethd said...

That is exquisite, Heidi. Longing to see it as you go on.

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi,

I did see the beginning of this sampler ... you made some serious progress! It looks so nice with these colours!!! Zet 'm op ... o no, slow down of course :)

Have a nice week & it must be nice to be almost 5 now :)
Hugs, Carolien

Nanny Ree said...

Looks lovely Heidi I love alphabets too!! Marie x

patchwitch said...

I like it Heidi!
Enjoy slow stitching, and make us happy with your slow but very nice projects!
hugs,
doti

Annemarie said...

Oh, that's beautiful Heidi! I'm a big fan of slow stitching, that's why I'm enjoying this no-deadline stitching so much!
Hope you're well!

{{{HUGS}}}

Roberta said...

Love this sampler, Heidi and the colors are lovely.