Thursday, January 15, 2009

Primitive ornaments SAL - Believe

Over the Christmas holiday, I was visited by my creative muse and got the urge to try my hand at designing my own Christmas ornaments. Now I am a needlewoman who believes that things become most beautiful when shared with others. I would like to share these ornament design with my blog readers. On the 15th of each month, I will put another of my primitive ornaments on my blog for you to stitch.

I have never done this before and don't have any computer programs to design with. For me, it was a pencil and graph paper. I have scanned the pattern for you. Enlarge the pattern and print it out by copying it to Word. I somehow think the idea of a hand drawn pattern fits the whole idea of these little primitive pillows.


If you would prefer a more traditional look to your ornament pillows, change the linen to a white or cream and change the threads to bright Christmas colors. Use a traditional fabric to back the pillow with a ribbon to hang.


Once your design is stitched, simply sew into a little pillow using jute string for hanging.


This design is stitched with two over two. I used 30 count Old Mill Java R&R linen. I used overdyed threads which add to the primitive look. I used red ~ Sampler Threads by The Gentle Arts "Cranberry", Carrie's Threads "Cocoa" and "Antique Gold". Choose your own favorite shades of red, brown and gold from your stash. DMC thread will also work fine for this design.

I hope you have fun stitching this primitive pillow. It is a perfect way to stitch something quick and easy between other projects. By the end of the year, you will have a dozen ornaments to use in a small tree or wreath or perhaps add to your own collection of ornaments. I would love to see a photo of your own finished version. Please email me (see my profile for my email) and I will create a gallery of finishes. Enjoy!

22 comments:

Mel said...

I can see your blog is going to be a great inspiration to use my new sewing machine. Quilting has always been a dream of mine, to me, what's in a quilt just shows a persons personality... Thanks for sharing!

Mel

Carolien said...

What a nice and funny idea, Heidi! Love the look of it!

Hugs, Carolien

Françoise said...

super!!!
hugs
françoise

Joanne said...

I love the design Heidi! I think it's so funny that we both had this particular creative calling at almost the same time, and offered designs the same day, too :) Two great minds... definitely!!! I'll be stitching this and can't wait to see what you have for us each month, too.
Creative hugs,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Another good idea of you Heidi. Maybe I can as my daughter Karin to stitch them for me! She just finished an embroidery I started a couple of years ago and it looks very nice.
Succes and have a nice weekend. Groetjes
Elly

Brigitte said...

Oh Heidi, what a wonderful idea. I love all these primitive ornaments out there, and you've been adding to this love. Thank you.

hazel c UK said...

Love your desisgn Heidi and hopefully will be stitching it. Thank you.
Hazel (UK)

msjan said...

What a good idea. I was thinking about doing ornaments for my family and your designs will come in very handy.

Thanks

Jan R in Maryland

Linda said...

Heidi....this is a precious ornament and I'm so excited about the SAL. I'll be doing it for sure...hugs, Linda

Susan in SC said...

(((Heidi)) How sweet to share you areative talents with us! I just love this cute little ornament!! I can't wait to start stitching it.

Roberta said...

Very nice, Heidi.

Tammy said...

Heidi, I'm going stitch this and it will be a beautiful addition to my "email friends" ornament collection. Thank you!

DonnaTN said...

Sometimes simple ornaments are the best. How sweet of you to share your designs and to verbally give permission to make changes according to our personal tastes. Thank you Heidi!

Anonymous said...

Wat een leuk ornamentje Heidi!Als ik hier en daar nog een gaatje heb,ga ik ze zeker maken..dankjewel!

Pondside said...

As if I didn't need another reason to check in here on a regular basis!
What a sweet design - thank you for sharing, and thank you in advance for your generosity in the coming months. I'm going to have fun with these posts!

mainely stitching said...

Oh, Heidi! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, what a lovely ornament, I am going to join your SAL!

Daffycat said...

Beautiful ornament, Heidi! Thanks!

Maggie said...

I love your primative ornament Heidi, thank you for sharing it :-)
I have saved it and i'm sure i will stitch it ready to hang on my tree this Christmas.

Maggie x

Susan in SC said...

Heidi - hop over to My Cottage Life blog to see your sweet ornament stitched and ready to hand on the tree! It's gorgeous! Thanks again!

Susan

Nancy said...

That is so cute Heidi, I read your comments and went to visit My Cottage Life to see the one she made. You need to start a design book.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite words...believe...

I will enjoy stitching these