Friday, January 30, 2009

Love a quick finish!

I just love a quick finish! I decided to stitch up two of Stacy Nash's Ohio patterns between the larger reproduction samplers that I will be stitching over the course of this year. This is the first of the two. It feels great to stitch up these sweet little charts as they go so fast. Even for me they go fast and I am not a quick stitcher. *grins*

Now I did change the colors just ever so slightly once again because I did not have a couple of the colors and did not want to wait and have to buy new DMC. I so hope that Stacy does not mind. I am leary anymore after the last sampler. I used an overdyed linen and will frame this one instead of making a pillow. I want all the samplers to hang together on my Ohio wall.

Another finish is one I did as a little gift for a dear online friend. I have had the great fortune to meet some wonderful people online and Diane is one of them. She and I met through a Yahoo list a number of years ago and we clicked immediately.

So I decided to sew her a patchwork needlebook to send at Christmas. But this bad old elf did not get it done in time to send with a Christmas card so she got it just because instead. Just because I cherish her friendship! I was happy to hear from her last night that she had received it in the mail.

I used the patchwork block called 'Contrary Wife'. There are four wool felt pages for her needles and a tiny button and satin ribbon to close the book.


I enjoy making these little patchwork needlebooks and sharing them. It is a fun way to keep your needles and pins together when you are doing your stitching or quilting.


21 comments:

Nancy said...

Lucky Diane, that is a very cute needle book. Seeing your heart pillow on your last post, reminds me I never did stuff the one I made last year at your house. Guess I should finish it now for Valentines day since mine was mostly red.
I love those sizzors, they are beautiful.
Your little sampler is just too cute. The little bird and tulip are very right for you. It will be very nice framed.
Love you, Mom, who is very relieved
to know you are on Skype today and NOT in the hospital.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Quick finishes are the best! Helps improve your psyche and lift your moods :)
This is a gorgeous one....me thinks I'm going to have to go in search of the pattern :)

Françoise said...

Beautifull!!!
hugs
françoise

Candy said...

I followed your other blog to this one. I love your work! I never heard of the Contrary Wife square, but I liked it.

Brigitte said...

A wonderful quick finish, Heidi. I also fell in love with some Stacy Nash designs and I think I'll have to buy them.
The needlebook for Diane is so beautiful with the green fabrics and the wool felt inside. Great colours. I don't know if I have ever seen this quilt block. Must go and look through my quilt books.

Carolien said...

What a lovely needle book and what a lovely stitches on your Ohio collection. It looks great! (Did you remember me telling you that I will include the Contrary Wife pattern in my Christmas sampler? Hihi!)

Well, again I have to tell you that I am very glad with the good tidings of today ...

Hugs, Carolien

Annemarie said...

Heidi, changing the colours *again*? Are you sure? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Your needlebook is stunning! Please tell me (us) how you get the felt pages to look so neat and perfectly placed. Or do you need a quilter's head and hands to do that?

Barbara said...

Well, lucky Diane, the needle book is beautiful. I love quick finishes. Your Stacy design will be lovely in a frame. I love her designs, and I'm sure she will not mind your changing colors!

I'm also glad you are home and your emails sound so much more like Heidi.

Hugs,
Barbara

mainely stitching said...

Oh, Heidi, I love the needlebook you made your friend and I bet she'll cherish it always!! :D

Linda said...

Heidi, your quick stitch is lovely, a nice addition for your Ohio collection. I love the needlebook for your friend...she is going to treasure it...hugs, Linda

Christine said...

The patchwork needlebook is adorable, and I love the little Stacy Nash piece.

Brigitta said...

what a sweet little needlebook Heidi! I keep meaning to make one, but never get around to doing so, but I will.... one day LOL

I was glad to read no surgery for you, but I know you still have a long way to go, good luck with that sweetie!!

Spinning Beauty said...

Heidi, that is one cute patchwork needlebook!

Lucy said...

I LOVE the needle book and your embroidery is so beautiful I like these patterns! where do you get them??

Elizabethd said...

Heidi, that is so pretty, what a lovely idea to make a quilted needlecase.
(Not sure about changing those colours Heidi!!)

Anonymous said...

Great finishes Heidi. I love the needlebook and I must tell you that once again you and I are choosing identical projects. I finished the Ohio pillow last week (with interesting results) I'll be posting it tomorrow.

Natasha said...

The needlebook is beautiful! I have that Chart and as soon as I dye my fabric I am going to start on it. I love her designs.

Take Care
Natasha

Margaret said...

What a lovely addition for your Ohio sampler wall Heidi. You are so right about the pleasure of small finishes when you are working on larger projects.

Diane's needle book is adorable. I'm sure she was trilled.

Read your email last night. So sorry you aren't well. Will write you within the next few days.

Zorg goed voor jezelf en tot gauw.

Roberta said...

Just love Stacy Nash designs, the Ohio one is really nice. The needlebook for Diane is charming. You do such lovely work.

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
What a lovely little patchwork needlecase. Diane is a lucky girl to have such a pretty and really useful gift. I also love the little Stasy Nash pillow. It's such a cosy design and I really like those colours
These quick finishes are so satisfying. Like Nancy, ineed to finish off my crazy quilt heart than I would love to make a little crazy quilt needlecase all in pinks and plummy colours, my favourites....hmmm! Now have you been changing colours, Heidi :>)
Hugs, Angela

Joni said...

Love the Stacy Nash and congrats on the nice finish!
Diane's needlecase is adorable and I love the pattern name. Contrary Wife. The fabrics you chose are just gorgeous (of course).