Monday, April 27, 2009

French letter samplers update

Once a month, I get together with my two lacemaking friends for an afternoon of tea, chatting and handwork. These are the two friends I gave the wooden boxes and fabric to last year for their birthdays. We have now all three started our letter samplers using threads to match the fabric we will be using in our boxes. Here is the start to the three samplers.

I was able to get alot accomplished today on my own piece. I finish the lower case H I had started and started another H which is now almost half finished. I then need to stitch a few more symbols. I am searching for a shillouette of a sitting cat. I also want to include more sewing symbols. I will share photos of our samplers after we add more to them each month.

I was asked about the printed hexagons I showed on my last entry. There is a free online program you can use to print out any size hexagons by changing the settings. I used a double thickness computer paper to print them on. It was a bit tricky to get the thick paper through my old laser jet printer but it worked. You can find the link here.

13 comments:

Sonja said...

It's nice to see our needlework on your blog. I am pulling threads to make my mistake disappear. Still I enjoy working on this project!

DonnaTN said...

What a great way to spend an afternoon,with friends,stitching and tea. Everyone's colors are so pretty. It will be nice to watch the progress.

Pondside said...

I love the idea of meeting to stitch - and your letters are turning out beautifully.

Susan in SC said...

What a plesantafternoon you must have had. I love getting wtih friends and being crafty with them.

Nancy said...

I know both Jannie and Sonja and so I feel I was there with you, since I have been with you three, LOL.
Every box is going to be so pretty. Can't wait to see them finished.
Love you, Mom

onlymehere said...

You're right, they're pillows. Since she doesn't read your blog I can tell you here!! I'm also making hot pads and that should use up all the scraps. There really weren't many scraps left at all! The quilt was promised by Friday and I'm so excited to see how she quilted it. The hard part is binding it when Jill or Nicholas aren't around! They've seen the top done but it changes so much with quilting and binding that I'd like to keep that a surprise. They are counting down days now until the wedding, only 59 more! LOL! I love your new project! What a fun group you seem to be in.

lena-lou said...

Love the idea of your boxes and what a nice way to spend the odd afternoon :)
Take care

Linda said...

The letters are lovely....I'm looking forward to seeing the boxes and each individual creation....they are going to be wonderful. What a nice way to spend an afternoon stitching and chatting with friends....hugs, Linda

Elizabethd said...

Please go on sharing photos of the samplers. so lovely to see them.

faerieeva said...

Ahh... I am back to the world of blogging. After two months of whirlwind activities, it is so wonderful to be able to sit back and gaze at the beauty that you always create! *chuckles* I am still trudging along with my sock, though I think I have done more to it in the last two days than I had in the six weeks before. Soon I will be ready to start on the foot: the part that really scares me!

Saskia said...

I do love all your needlework.
Don't have the time to do what you do, but looking on your blog let me enjoy it all.
What happend to your projects diet??.. Are the ufo's all done?
don't think so..;-)
Saskia

Brigitta said...

Wow Heidi, you've done a lot of stitching!! I love them all. My Beatrix Potter is quite a bit larger than yours I think. I don't know where I went wrong with the counting, but then again, I like big ;-)

Take care, hugs B.

Brigitte said...

Oh, I love the letters you stitched so far. This box made me very curious and I'm looking forward to seeing what you will be doing with them.