Monday, October 08, 2007

Acorn pincushion


It has been a few days since I posted another pincushion. Here is the newest one which I made today. It is an acorn. I first made the 'body' of the acorn and gathered and stuffed a piece of wool tweed for the cap. I am really pleased with how it has turned out. I hope to pick the pace back up on making these little pincushion creations but have to sew the ones which were won on my give~aways. I have one almost finished and should be able to send it out tomorrow. I will let the winners know when their pincushions are on the way.

"Lady Autumn, Queen of the Harvest,
I have seen You in the setting Sun
with Your long auburn tresses
blowing in the cool air that surrounds You.
Your crown of golden leaves is jeweled
with amber, amethyst, and rubies.
Your long, flowing purple robe stretches across the horizon.
In Your hands You hold the ripened fruits.
At Your feet the squirrels gather acorns.
Black crows perch on Your outstretched arms.
All around You the leaves are falling.
You sit upon Your throne and watch
the dying fires of the setting Sun
shine forth its final colors in the sky.
The purple and orange lingers
and glows like burning embers.
Then all colors fade into the twilight.
Lady Autumn, You are here at last.
We thank You for Your rewards.
We have worked hard for these gifts.
Lady Autumn, now grant us peace and rest."
~~ Deirdre Akins ~~


Note to Angela ~ The stuffed bear is a black cat and the sweater is one he came in. It was a gift from my sister years ago. She wrote on the tag which you can still see attached to its paw. I left it on there and am now so very glad I did!

Note to Carolien van Boven ~ Wat leuk dat je zo mijn blog hebt gevonden! Toevallig dat je ook uit Amersfoort komt. Ik hoop dat je nog vaker een 'comment' achter zou willen laten want ik waardeer alle commentaar. Bedankt!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Heidi,
Your acorn is so pretty and exactly as I imagined it would be :>) What a great addition to your display of Autumn's bounty. The poem - well, what can I say, it's fabulous. You have rekindled my love of poetry and had me digging out my old poetry books from my teaching days.
I've been back to look at your Halloween cat, I don't know how I mistook it for a bear. I love his orange nose and sweater. What a wonderful keepsake from your sister, made extra special by it's personal message.
Hugs, Angela

Nancy said...

What a beautiful acorn! You can tell by how pretty your pin cushions are that you have really enjoyed making them.

Nancy said...

Ok, friends of Heidi can now see her picture if you go to my blog.
I post it today, with her permission. Your acorn is very cute Miss Heidi. I will be waiting to see the others, especially the squirrel. Hmmmmmmmm.
I sure wouldn't want to try that one.
Love you, Mom

DaisyGirl said...

I love that acorn! My squirrels over here would love it too! haha
Looks great!
Donna

Wawanna said...

You have reallly been producing one darling pin cushion after another. Your imagination has no bounds, they are all so very cute and useful too. Wonder just how many you can come up with, there are just no limits to your creativity.

Anonymous said...

oh, how cute!!! You are Queen of the pincushion, my dear! I love it! Acorns are favorites of mine!!!

Kristen said...

I love the acorn! It is precious! I think you are so very clever! You must make a pincushion pattern book. It would be quite popular!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Another adorable pincushion! Ok, what did you use for the stem? The acorns that I have have a piece of a twig. I love seeing what you come up with next!!!

Heidi, have you seen Alicia Paulson's little Corgi puppy? Her site is on my links. She lost her little Audrey, her beloved Corgi, a few months back and found another little dog to love, which is precious, too! Corgi's are wonderful!!!! Westies have a tendency to have skin allergies, but are precious, too. My little guy has environmental allergies..I am going to do a post on that to share what I have learned.

Ok, today I am tackling projects! Finishing a bag I started.

Lovely day to you,

becky xo

Janice said...

That is just adorable!! I love acorns because we have so many of them around here from our oak trees! Good job, Heidi!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Heidi,

Bedankt voor je reaktie, leuk. Ik laat vast nog wel van me horen!

Groeten, Carolien

crazyhaberdasher said...

Heidi, I love all of your pincushions, the acorn is a popular theme for sewing accessories, I have seen a lot about the internet at the moment probably because of the season....although it is Spring here!(Downunder!)
Keep them coming! You have a lot of great ideas and you are a very clever artist.

Anonymous said...

What an adorable pincushion!! I miss seeing acorns, I don't think I've seen them in my part of Ireland. Beautiful work!

Kathy said...

Heidi, I just love this little pin cushion! An acorn, so very "autumny"! I just love reading your blogs, you give me inspiration when it comes to deciding how to "finish" my stitching projects!