Friday, June 22, 2007

Domestic bliss and Beatrix Potter

Here is a photo of my very poor progress on the Beatrix Potter Quaker Sampler. I have been using my time to sew samples for my 'Christmas in July' project for the quilt group and then working on my Marquoir Marie~Rose. This poor sampler was very neglected. I have decided that it will be the project I am taking along this weekend to the cottage. I have a July pinkeep to stitch on but that will be done very quickly so then I can devote the time to this sampler once again.

Is it not the depicting of 'domestic bliss' one of the things that unknowingly draw us to Beatrix Potter's stories and illustrations? The books contain drawings with the most beautiful scenes of home life.

From Margaret Lane's "The Tale of Beatrix Potter":

"The domestic details of north~country farmhouse life are among the things to which Beatrix Potter herself most completely, and, considering Bolton Gardens, most surprisingly responded. A well~scrubbed flag floor, a rag rug of many colors, a saucepan on the hob and a flat~iron heating again the bars of the range, were not objects to evoke any pleasure, one would suppose, in the minds of Mr. or Mrs. Potter; but Beatrix was in love with every circumstance."

"...She dwelt on the household arrangements of Tiggy~Winkle and Tabitha Twitchet as lovingly as a connoisseur of the details of Van Eyck."

"...they are perfect records, in their way, of a simple life which still exists on the fells, and which had gone on undisturbed for generations when Beatrix Potter discovered it as a child."

2 comments:

Nancy said...

My Beatrix Potter sampler has been neglected lately too Heidi. Maybe this is one that you just have to put aside every now and then. I love your green glasses! And, the Beatrix Potter illustrations are lovely. Hope you have a wonderful weekend at the cottage.

Anonymous said...

Your BP looks so pretty, how can you neglect it? I really like that thread color, but understand the monotony. Can't wait to see what design you picked for July. The FTLOS list and you have greatly increased my interest in BP herself. Thank you for the insight.