Monday, February 16, 2009

Wash Day quilt

Mondays are often wash days in my home. I work on laundry over the weekend but often have an overflow to Monday. I decided while I was waiting for my dryer to shut off that I would start a long awaited new project on wash days. Normally I stitch while I wait but decided I would do my patchwork thus dubbing my new project the Wash Day quilt.


This photo is of an antique Dutch crib quilt dating to around 1815. I have seen quilts like this in museum collections and long wanted to reproduce this quilt in a small doll size.


First to choose a size to work with...I am making 2 inch blocks. The quilt consists of a center star block, hourglass blocks, 4 patch blocks and applique circle corner blocks. My quilt will end up 23 inches wide by 27 inches long. Starting the 4-patch blocks was very easy since I have a draw of cut scraps some of which were 1-1/2 inch squares. All I had to do was match some fabrics for an old look and start sewing. I then cut some half square triangles to start some of my hourglass blocks. The quilt is starting to take shape.


I will work on this project each time I work on my laundry. This will be fun to do this in the coming months. I like the idea that a job in our home will be marked by a pretty new, old quilt.

“We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.”

~ E B White

20 comments:

Teresa said...

I always enjoy seeing what fabric combinations you use. You have such wonderful eye for putting colors and patterns together!

Anonymous said...

Mooie stofjes gebruik je Heid!Ik wil binnenkort ook een klein antiekogend quiltje gaan maken in hetzelfde patroon!Afgelopen zaterdag was ik in Rijswijk en heb toen het nieuwe boek van An Moonen gekocht,véél inspiratie!

Barbara said...

Heidi, this will be a beautiful quilt. I love the fabric pieces you have chosen. Looking forward to seeing this on each of your wash days.

Hugs,
Barbara

Julie said...

The colors are fabulous, Heidi. And I love that E.B. White verse. So true!

faerieeva said...

Ooh... dat is zo mooi!

Ginny said...

I love the idea of having a project to work on just on laundry days, thereby turning a mundane (at least for me) chore into something fun! This is going to be a great quilt.

Linda said...

How fun to do a wash day quilt. Veyt pretty fabric choices and I'm looking forward to seeing each weeks progress...hugs, Linda

p.s.What a perfectly wonderful quote...

Brigitta said...

Dit wordt volgens mij een hele mooi quilt Heidi, prachtige stofjes, maar ja, dat is jou wel toevertrouwd ;-)

Nanny Ree said...

What a wonderful idea Heidi & I love the quote! Marie

Anonymous said...

I love you new old doll quilt!

Tracy said...

Really wonderful, Heidi...so many rich colors! And love the title! Monday and Tuesday are often my wash days...I've got some chugging away in the washing machine now--LOL! Happy week, my friend ((HUGS))

Margaret said...

What a beauty this is going to be Heidi. Wonderful colors and what a great idea to have it as your wash day project.

Carolien said...

Lovely quilt, Heidi! Have fun while doing your laundry :)

Hugs, Carolien

corry said...

Wat mooi, en wat een prachtige stofjes. Je zou bijna willen dat het iedere dag wasdag was!

Sonja said...

Wat een goed idee! Nu wordt wassen zelfs leuk! En de quilt begint nu al mooi te worden!

Sonja said...

P.S. Hoe gaat het met de TV?

Brigitte said...

What a wonderful project this is. I love what you have done on it so far, and again there is a great mixing up of colours and patterns. I'm looking forward to see this quilt grow.

Lucy said...

The quilt you reproduce is on my list for years.. Oohh shall I join you?? Lovely . Thanks for teh pictures of teh antiuqe quilts. I haven't been to the show :-/

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

I love pretty quilts, old and new. My husband's grandmother was a quilter and we are very fortunate to have several that she made us. We also inherited some old quilt tops that were made by his great- grandmother. We've had them 26 years and I don't know how long his mother had them before she passed away. My husband thinks they are at least 40 years old and most likely older (not antiques yet, I am 48 years old....) I hope to get these quilted soon. We actually forgot about having them until a few months ago. I may show some of them on my blog soon. I have enjoyed your blog very much. Thanks for sharing it.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your wash day quilt and I enjoyed seeing all the antique quilts.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Nancy said...

Hey, I totally missed this entry. I look everyday, how did I do that?
This is going to be oh so cute. What a neat idea that you only work on it on wash day. Something to look forward to.
Have fun.
Love you, Mom