Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Valentine penny rug tutorial

This is my Valentine's Day gift to all of you. I want to dedicate this to my online friends at HomespunHolidays. I hope everyone will enjoy trying to make this penny rug. The first person to make the penny rug from my tutorial and send a photo to me will receive a little gift from me. Have fun!


You will need three shades of (wool) felt for your hearts, two sheets of white or cream (wool) felt for your background, threads to match and a set of cookie cutters in a heart shape.

You could draw hearts or if you have a single heart cookie cutter simply increase or decrease the size for the three.


Trace the heart shape with a pencil. You will need six of each size of heart.




Start sewing a blanket stitch around the smallest heart to attach it to the medium sized heart.


Now blanket stitch the medium heart to the large sized heart.


Repeat for all six sets of hearts.


Place your sets in a circle on a piece of white felt and pin in place. Now again using a blanket stitch, attach all six hearts to the white felt.


Once they are sewn to the white felt, trim the white felt to about 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch from the outer edge of the hearts.


Trim a second piece of white felt to the same size.


Trim away the middle of the white felt once again following the outline of your hearts.


By blanket stitching the edges of the felt, you will no longer see the stitches used to attach the hearts to the top white felt. First, blanket stitch the outer edge of the two pieces of white felt.


Now continue the blanket stitching on the inner edge.


For a good link to see how to create the blanket stitch, click here.


Your heart penny rug candle mat is now ready to use. I liked the idea of having a candle mat with the middle cut out. It is an easy project to make and I look forward to seeing yours finished.

"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon."
~~ Author Unknown ~~


Happy Valentine's Day!!!


18 comments:

Kristen said...

Ok, I am in, but I have to learn how to do that stitch! I don't even know how to do that! Yes, it is sad, but true. I am just not well versed in stitcing, but I will give it a try! ONLY FOR YOU< AUNT HEIDI!!!! MUAHHHHHHH....

Nancy said...

Would you rather have a tall guy coming at you with a weapon? LOL
It is very cute, but I won't win, cause I am not making one. Good luck to those who do.
Love you, Mom

Lelia said...

Oh how lovely! And your blanket stitch edges are fantastic [mine usually stink] : )

Job well done!

Joanne said...

Thank you, Heidi, for creating this for us at Homespun Holidays! It looks like a fun project, and I'm going to see what felt I have in my stash. If I don't have the right colors, I'll stop in my favorite quilt shop this afternoon and buy some. Happy Valentine Hugs, Joanne

Christine said...

Thankyou for the tutorial. The mat is just gorgeous.

Fete et Fleur said...

Happy Valentine's Day Heidi!!

Hugs! Nancy

Tammy said...

Thank you, Heidi, for creating this tutorial for us! I will have to check the new fabric store in town that opened last week, and see if they have wool felt.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Tammy in NE

DaisyGirl said...

What a sweet pattern! Love it!
Can't promise to have it made, but hopefuuly will have it made for next Valentine's Day!
Thanks Heidi! Your a gem!
Donna

Christine said...

LOL..."a short chubby toddler......" Your too funny Heidi.

Thank you so much for the tutorial. Yours turned out fantastic. Love how it formed the star shape in the middle.

I am going to attempt one in the next day or two.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Wonderful and so perfectly done! I will have to take copious notes here. Happy Valentine's Day, Heidi!!

love,
Becky

Kathy said...

Heidi this is way too cute! You do such beautiful work! I love your cupcake pin cussion too! Too adorable!

Roberta said...

Heidi, as usual a job well done. Love the heart piece and you did a great job on the tutorial.

I will keep this for the future, as I have no time to make it now, too buy working on the Advent Pockets!!

Roberta

Susan in SC said...

Thank you Heidi. I can't wait to start! Susan in SC

BittersweetPunkin said...

I just popped over and saw this! Thank Heidi..I am going to try this one!!I finished up my Valentine penny mat I was working on...
Hugs,
Robin

Teresa said...

Heidi,
The penny rug is really pretty. I do want to make one. You make it look easy. Thanks for the tutorial.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Very interessant like always
Thanks thanks
Hugs
Françoise

Kristen said...

I did it!!!! I finished one!!! YEAHHHH!!! :) Come see at my blog!!! :) Thanks for the motivation!

Patty C. said...

Thanks for the tutorial