Monday, August 18, 2008

Life really is a patchwork quilt!

Any of my regular readers know that I am working on a medallion quilt that is full of symbolism of my life and family. We are waiting for the summer to end and vacations to be over before sharing the last borders of this project. I will share them with you this fall. I love using real things in life that translate into my patchwork and find myself doing it once again with the Centennial Sampler.


There are my three latest blocks. I have choosen each of these blocks for a specific reason this time.


'Patience' was choosen as I feel I need it right now dealing with my own emotions over that personal issue I mentioned in my last entry. I decided on all different red and pink fabrics. They blend and clash at the same time. This is something a quilter uses to add depth to a quilt. I also like the symbolism of this being a picture of how life moves sometimes in different directions and yet still makes one beautiful whole when put together.


'Old Maid's Puzzle' was choosen to represent my friend Saskia (not because of the name...read further) who is also making this quilt. Each year at Christmas, we exchange gifts in our quilt group's Christmas party. There is a theme each year and one holiday we all made eyeglass cases. When your name was called, you are able to go the gift table and pick one package. Saskia picked mine and I made the eyeglass case using this pattern with blue and white fabrics. I asked her the last time I saw her if she remembered the pattern and she did. You can see her progress on her blog.


Last but not least, 'Clay's Choice'. This block is to honor my mother. Her father's name was Clay and she was very close to him. I remember having repeated dreams of this grandfather that I never knew. He died before I was born. She showed me a photo of him later and I told her that is the man who is in my dreams. I choose the color red as it is my mother's favorite color.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Heidi, your quilt blocks are beautiful. I can hardly wait to see this quilt all put together.
Hugs,
Barbara/MO

Carolien said...

How lovely, these blocks with their symbolism. That's the magic about quilts, isn't it?!

See you tomorrow ...
Hugs, Carolien

mainely stitching said...

I love the symbolism in your choice of quilt blocks. Not only are the blocks beautiful in their own right, but knowing the story behind them makes them much more so.

Nancy said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh my, when I looked at the blocks, before I read the text, I like the one you call Clays Choice the best. I THINK, Lol that I NEED a quilt with those patches. Can you please make mine Red, White and Blue. LOL. Hummmmmmmm. I just cannot wait to see this quilt finished.
Love you, Mom
PS: I have to tell you a saying George says
"Time heals all wounds and time wounds all heals.

diane said...

They are all so beautiful and I love the stories behind them. Again, these personalizations turn a quilt into so much more!

Annemarie said...

I was curious to read about the symbolism behind each block, because I couldn't quite grasp what you were talking about, but now that I know, I can honestly say it makes the quilt blocks look even better and more special.

Solstitches said...

Beautiful block - I love them all.
The colours you are using are so pretty.

Heidi said...

The blocks are beautiful made so not only by the choice in colors but by their symbolism. it's true what you said about quilts and how they relate to life. They help us put our lives in perspective and make the world a more beautiful place to be.

Linda said...

All three of the block are lovely each for a different reason. The sentiments attached to each one makes then very special. Hugs, Linda

Lucy said...

Beautiful blocks Heidi!